Mr. Gay Syria is a documentary about two gay Syrian refugees as they live through the migration crisis,being gay in Turkey,and their hope to find a better future in Europe.
Here's a list of the latest achievements:
- Silver Hugo at Chicago IFF - jury's motivation: "The Silver Hugo goes to Mr. Gay Syria directed by Ayse Toprak, a film that looks at the Syrian refugee crisis through the lens of the LGBT community. At times sad and at times humorous, she captures a slice of life of a community in transition."
- Ocana Award to Freedom at Sevilla Film Festival - from the jury's motivation: "For the courage shown by her director in narrating, with the formula of non-fiction, the experiences of a group of male homosexuals escaping from Syria at war, all shown with the hope of a life in freedom."
- Best European Documentary at Tirana International Film Festival - jury's motivation: "A heart-breaking journey of gay Syrians from imminent death under the hands of ISIS to freedom in Western Europe. Some make it, some don't. Well-told."
- Grand Prix at LGBT-Festival Chéries Chéris / Paris
- Special Mention in the Impact Competition at Verzio IHRDFF